This herb has no known warnings or contraindications when used externally.
- Tisanes of the leaves and roots are used to relieve persistent coughs and promote sweating during fevers.
- They are also supposed to be able to lift depression and banish melancholia. The expressed juice from alkanet was good for pleurisy.
- It is used on the skin for any irritation or rash and soothes and softens it.
- It is used as an astringent for wounds.
- It is used as a blood purifier to expel toxins from the body with its diuretic action.
- It is also used to treat stomach ulcers and diarrhea.
Special Precautions & Warnings:
It is UNSAFE to use Alkanet in pregnancy. It’s also best to avoid use of Alkanet during breast-feeding.
People with liver disease should avoid use of Alkanet.